Will you be on the path of totality for the August 21st total solar eclipse? Become a part of scientific history and help hundreds of other photographers make the first crowdsourced movie of a total solar eclipse from coast to coast. Find out more about the Eclipse Megamovie Project and Sign In to become part of the team at https://eclipsemega.movie!
Interested in Photography/Citizen Science? Join the Eclipse Megamovie Project and Get Your Name in the Credits!
Join Google, UC Berkeley and others in this first-of-its-kind citizen science project! The Eclipse Megamovie Project is currently recruiting qualified participants for the upcoming total solar eclipse that will cross North America on August 21, 2017. The project’s primary aim is to add a new dimension to our studies of the Sun’s faint outer atmosphere – the corona. More information about the project is at http://eclipsemega.movie.
Our aim is to recruit over 1,000 photographers with the appropriate equipment and skills* who will be on the path of totality. After applying, you will participate in online trainings and submit a practice image before the eclipse. Once you qualify, you will receive a pin to designate your status as part of the official Megamovie Photo Team. Your name will also be included in the credits of the final Eclipse Megamovie. You’ll also receive assistance with preparing for the eclipse and news about special offers and other perks exclusively for Megamovie Photo Team members!
To participate, please visit our website at http://eclipsemega.movie and follow these simple steps to apply:
- Sign In with a Google associated email address
- Click on “CREATE ACCOUNT”
- Indicate your intended location for eclipse viewing and the type of camera you’ll be using.
- Lastly but most important of all, if you meet the proper Location and Equipment criteria, you can now click on the “Apply” button to fill out an application to be a member of the official Megamovie Photo Team. Once you apply, our partners at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific will be in touch with you and continue to engage you in preparing for the eclipse.
We look forward to working with you on this history-making project! If you have questions, please address them to eclipse-megamovie-questions@
*Basic equipment and skills necessary for participating in the Eclipse Megamovie Project
- Camera: interchangeable lens digital camera (DSLR or mirrorless)
- Telephoto or zoom lens: minimum focal length of 300mm
- A stable and level tripod
- The ability to identify the GPS coordinates and time of your photographs to the nearest second